To qualify for membership to British Airways Virtual the pilot is required to meet the following minimum criteria.
- The pilot must be in possession of Flight Simulator 2004 or FSX.
- The pilot must be registered with the IVAO or VATSIM Online Organization.
- The pilot must be over the age of 16.
- The ability to fly for British Airways Virtual once every 30 days. (See Pilot Inactivity Policy)
- The pilot must submit their real identity. ( No nicknames or callsigns are permitted )
- The ability to show professionalism within the organization and when conducting Online Operations.
- Members of other versions of Virtual Airlines that model British Airways will not be accepted.
- A pilot WILL be required to sit an entrance examination. (See Examination System)
- As English is the international language of the aviation industry, we require applicants to harbour a reasonable level of written and spoken English.
Online Network Registration
- There is no formal obligation to fly using the online network, however we do require you to register with the IVAO or VATSIM network.
- If you have not yet registered with IVAO or VATSIM, please go to IVAO or VATSIM respectively.
- Please make sure you enter your correct network ID on the application form.
- Applications submitted with an incorrect network ID will be rejected.
Pilot Inactivity Policy
- British Airways Virtual operates a 30 day active flying policy which means pilots must fly at least one flight every 30 days.
- Pilots who are inactive after the 30 day period may be removed without notice from the rosters.
- You will NOT be entitled to any leave of abscense until you have served 90 days as an active pilot. There are no exceptions to this policy, so if you are unable to fulfill the minimum flying activity (one flight every 30 days) for your first 90 days please defer your application until such time that you are able to commit.
- We ask you to carefully consider before applying whether you are able to fulfil this basic commitment.
- Inactivity creates a burden on resources and time that can be better spent improving our services for members who participate with our operations.
- If you do fall inactive on our rosters and re-apply your past record of participation will be looked at.
Pilot Reports or "PIREPS"
- To combat fraudulent hours, British Airways Virtual does NOT have a facility for PIREPS to be entered by a form.
- Accelerated Time is NOT permissable through our software client.
- We also have a validation requirement whilst in flight via the software, to ensure the PIC is present.
- More information on these features are explained fully in our Client Sofware manual.
- Flight Planning is required for all flights at British Airways Virtual, this is one of the mandatory fields in the client.
- There is no facility to fly "DIRECT GPS"
Other Important information
- British Airways Virtual has a member limit of 1250 pilots.
- If this number is reached and you have applied, you will be held on a waiting list.
- The number of current applicants waiting for entry is updated daily on the front page of the website. Please be patient with this process.
- While you are waiting on the list please this is an excellent opportunity to familiarize yourself with our Operations.
- When you are accepted you will be ready to fly without looking at our procedures. This will save you considerable time and effort.
- Some of our services on the website are not accessible by non members but these items are fully documented in our Operations Manual.
- Once your application is approved you will receive your BAW ID number along with the latest Operations Manual.
- If you have any queries regarding Applications in the meantime please contact our HR Department.
New Pilots Note
- Your first flight at British Airways Virtual must be completed within 14 days of your acceptance date.
- If you have difficulties with using our system please email us as soon as possible so that we can assist you.
- If you do not contact us our system will automatically delete you from our database.
- If you do not receive a reply within 14 days please see our FAQs for a possible answer to your query.
- You will not be entitled to any leave of absence until you have served 90 days as an active pilot.
Ready to join our ranks?
After reading all of the above and if you are still interested in joining, then please proceed to our application form below..
British Airways Virtual provides enjoyment for over 1,000 members worldwide, busy & informative forums, and a great sense of community.